Did you ever bring Hey Dude Shoes and realize these are not your perfect fit? You may experience shoes that no longer fit as well over time due to changes in the tendons and ligaments of your feet.
So How to make Hey Dude shoes tighter?
You can tighten your Hey Dude Shoes by using lacing hacks, repositioning the knot on the lace, and warm machine washing. These are just a few ways you can try. Some will reshape your shoes permanently, while others will give you a temporary solution.
In the article, I will give you all the tricks that will help you tighten your Hey Dude Shoes. Firstly, I will give you a brief overview, and then I will explain the ways of tightening Hey Dude Shoes.
Let’s get right in!
Firstly, I will briefly overview the techniques you can use to tighten your Hey Dude Shoes; then, I will elaborate on each method.
Here’s everything you should know about how to make Hey Dudes tighter:
- Heating the shoes: You can use a hair dryer or heat gun to tighten your Hey Dude shoes. You can also keep them in the oven.
- Repositioning the knot on the lace: To reposition the knot on Hey Dude shoes, first untie it. Then, adjust the tightness to your desired level. Finally, retie the knot in the new position. It will help to tighten your shoe.
- Lacing Hacks: You can use a runner loop or heel lock to tighten your shoes. Further, you can also tie the laces at the ankle to get a fitted feel.
- Looping the Laces: Hey Dude Shoes are slip-on shoes, but you can hoop them to make them feel tight on your foot.
- Use Socks: You can also wear socks to tighten Hey Dude Shoes. Socks will help define your feet’ shape, and hence your feet will effortlessly adjust to Hey Dude Shoes.
- Warm Machine Wash: You can give your shoes a warm machine wash. As it will help to tighten the shoe fabric, your shoes will eventually feel tight.
Now I will explain these techniques in detail.
Hey Dude shoes are made from canvas, cotton, wool, suede, leather, and recycled plastic bottles. All the materials are pliable on the application of heat. The process is called thermoforming, where you can apply the heat with a heat gun or hair dryer.
When you do this, Thermoforming will soften the material of your shoe, making it easy to reshape. Here is an easy way to tighten your shoe with the hair dryer:
- Start with examining the shoe to identify where it is loose.
- Adjust your hair dryer to the highest temperature. Hold the hair dryer at least six inches away from the shoe.
- Aim the hair dryer at the regions that require tightening and move it circularly for 30 seconds to 1 minute. This will soften the shoe’s material.
- After heating the shoe, remove your foot and use your hands to tighten the material around the areas you indicated earlier.
- Maintain this position for the shoe until it has completely cooled down. This will assist in establishing the new form.
If necessary, repeat the procedure with the other shoe. You can follow the same procedure with the hair gun.
Let’s now look into how to tighten the shoe in the oven:
- Preheat your shoe in the oven at a low temperature, preferably (150-200 degrees Fahrenheit,65-95 degrees Celsius).
- Place a baking sheet on the lower rack of your oven.
- Remove the laces or any other insertion, as heat can damage them.
- Now place the shoe in the upper rack while making sure that the shoe doesn’t touch the oven or the baking sheet.
- Keep the shoe in the oven for 12 to 18 minutes.
- Pull the shoes out of the oven, wear them, and walk around to mold their shape.
Though this process is practical, I will not recommend you put the shoes in the oven for long or repeat the process as it can highly degrade the material of your shoes.
Repositioning the knot on the laces is another way to tighten your shoes. Here’s how to do that.
- Begin by loosening the shoe laces. This will make it simpler to access and adjust the knot’s position.
- Once the laces have been loosened, look for the knot that needs to be moved. This could be the upper knot of the shoe, or it could be a knot further down the laces.
- Untie the knot carefully, careful not to pull too hard on the laces, or they will come entirely out of the shoe.
- Once the knot is untied, you can move it up or down the laces to adjust its position. If you need to tighten the shoe, move the knot up; if you need to release it, move it down.
- Once you have repositioned the knot, retie it using your chosen knot style. Tie the knot firmly so it doesn’t come undone while you wear the shoe.
- After retying the knot, adjust the rest of the laces on your shoe to guarantee a secure and comfortable fit. Pulling on the ends or adjusting the loops can tighten or loosen the laces as required.
- After you’ve adjusted the laces, walk around or do some exercises to see how your sneaker fits. If the sneaker feels too loose or tight, you can adjust the laces until you find the perfect fit.
Runner loop is a specialized technique that will help you provide extra support and prevent heel slippage in shoes, particularly athletic shoes such as running shoes. Let’s see how to do that:
- Start lacing your shoes normally, but skip the second-to-last set of holes or the last pair if your shoes only have one pair of eyelets left.
- Thread the shoelaces’ loose ends through the skipped eyelets on the same side, making a loop on each side of the shoe.
- Cross the laces over, then thread them through the opposing loops to form a knot.
- Pull the ends of the laces to tighten the knot, making a secure lock at the top of the shoe.
- Finish lacing your shoes as usual, making a knot or bow at the top.
The runner loop method can be especially useful for runners and other athletes who experience heel slippage or want extra support for their feet during physical activity.
However, getting the hang of the technique and finding the right amount of tension to accomplish the desired level of support may take some practice.
By increasing tension and decreasing slack in the laces, looping the laces can help tighten the shoes. Here are some instructions for looping the knots and tightening the shoes:
- Begin by threading the laces through the eyelets or openings on one side of the shoe, being careful not to twist the laces.
- Cross the laces over each other in the center of the shoe, then loop the ends around the opposing sides of the shoe.
- Return the laces to the center of the shoe and cross them over again, then repeat the looping procedure on the opposite side of the shoe.
- Continue looping and tightening the laces, ensuring the tension is even on both sides of the shoe.
- Once you’ve reached the top of the shoe, secure the laces with a knot or bow.
Looping the laces in this manner creates a tighter and more secure fit around the foot, which can help prevent slipping and sliding inside the shoe.
This method can also help distribute tension evenly throughout the shoe, reducing pressure points and increasing general comfort.
But over tightening the laces, on the other hand, can cause discomfort or even agony. Adjust the tension to achieve a comfortable and safe fit.
Wearing socks will not only keep your feet clean and comfortable, but they can make your shoe feel tighter. In the following ways:
- Extra layer: Wearing socks with your shoes adds a layer of cloth between your foot and the shoe. Filling small gaps or spaces between your foot and the shoe can help produce a snugger fit.
- Reduced friction: Wearing socks can help reduce friction between your foot and the shoe, preventing slipping and moving inside the shoe. Obtaining a tight, secure fit can be more difficult when your foot slides inside the shoe.
- Moisture control: Socks can help wick moisture away from your feet, preventing sweat buildup inside the sneaker. When your feet are wet or sweaty, they can slide around inside the shoe more readily, making a tight fit more difficult.
It’s also worth mentioning that the type of socks you wear can affect how well they help tighten your shoes.
Socks that are too thick or too thin may not provide the best support, so it’s a good idea to try various types of socks to find the right fit for you. Additionally, choose socks that fit well and do not bunch up or produce wrinkles inside your shoe.
Warm machine wash is a quick remedy to permanently tighten your shoes. Here is how you can do it:
- Before washing your shoes in a machine, it’s important to check the care label to ensure they are machine washable. Hey Dude Shoes are generally washable.
- Untie the laces if present) and check and remove any dirt or debris in the shoes. You can use a brush or cloth for this purpose.
- Set the washing machine to a warm or hot temperature, depending on the material of your shoes. Remember that some materials may shrink or warp when exposed to heat, so it’s important to be cautious.
- Use a gentle cycle to wash your shoes, as the strong cycle will damage the fabric of your shoes.
- Add a small amount of detergent or other cleaning agents. Also, avoid using strong detergent to wash the shoes.
- After the washing cycle, remove the shoes from the machine and reshape them as desired. Stuff the shoes with paper or cloth to help them maintain their shape, then air dry them in a well-ventilated area away from direct sunlight or heat. Avoid using a dryer, as this can cause shrinkage or damage to the shoes.
Note that repeated use of this solution may not be the best solution, as excessive exposure to warm machine wash can cause wear and tear in your shoes.
Hey Dude shoes are meant to be relaxed, comfortable, and simple to fit, but whether they should be loose or tight depends on your taste and intended use of the shoe.
You may favor Hey Dudes shoes for casual pursuits such as walking. However, if you intend to use Hey Dudes for strenuous activities such as hiking or jogging, you may prefer a more snug fit to provide better support and stability.
Hey Dude shoes are known for their lightweight and comfortable design, making them popular for casual wear and daily use.
They are generally intended to be comfortable for all-day wear, with features like a memory foam insole and a flexible sole that conforms to the shape of your foot.
They’re also made of breathable materials like canvas and knit fabric, keeping your feet comfortable and dry throughout the day.
However, whether they are suitable all day long depends on several factors, including the particular style of the shoes, your foot type, and your personal comfort preferences.
Plus, not all Hey Dude shoes are equal, and some styles may be more comfortable for prolonged wear than others.
Furthermore, if you suffer from particular foot problems such as flat feet, high arches, or plantar fasciitis, you may require more support or cushioning than a Hey Dude shoe can provide.
Overall, Hey Dude shoes are a good option for long-term usage, especially if comfort and lightweight design are important to you.
However, because everyone’s feet and comfort preferences differ, it’s always a good idea to try on the shoes and walk around before wearing them for an extended time.
Shoes can droop at any stage, and often, you can’t let go of your shoes, so it’s important to learn some tricks to save you from buying another pair of shoes. These techniques include but are not limited to heating the shoes, repositioning the knot, lacing hacks, looping the laces, use of socks, and warm machine wash.
Some hacks will help you permanently shape your shoes, while others will give you temporary relief. At the same time, I will advise you not to overdo any hack because doing so can cause irreversible damage to your shoes.